Sunday

New Zealand - Day Seven

Equal parts sad and glad to be leaving. Writing from the flight to Auckland where we'll leave for San Francisco later tonight. Bikes are turned in, bags are packed, on our way back. It's been great getting to know Wade, we're having an amazing time.

I realize I've talked very little this week about the actual people or country of New Zealand, so here's a couple tid bits to go with the beautiful pictures... There is so much more to learn about this place, one week really only whet my appetitite for more. Wade potentially moving here gives a great excuse to come back soon, "I reckon." (Kiwi-ese for, "I suppose")

I have never seen so many Range Rovers, Jeeps, Isuzu Troopers and other rugged type cars in one place before. Aparently Kiwi's have this mentality Wade was telling me about that if they can't make it out of materials readily available in New Zealand then they don't need it. Similiarly if they can't fix it with a little duct tape and wire then it's probably junk anyway. This fierce independence is one of the more pronounced things I've seen this week.

The "paper" money is plastic (like in Mexico lately) or some polymer/synthetic which holds shape better than paper and is more counterfiet resistant and better at repelling dirt and generally more durable. Fitting for transacting small amounts of money as in: selling one sheep or buying a small amount of some crop from your neighbor.

They have a thing here for corrugated metal. They roof things with it, build things with it, even decorate in nice restaurants with it. I dig it - very industrial and cold yet sturdy - kinda medical or modern looking.

They have a thing for fish and chips I think was mentioned earlier. Kiwi-ese for "to-go" is "for take away." Like you can have your coffee for here or for take aways. The Subway serves a lamb sub with mint jelly. They have many kinds of cars we don't. Some brand made in Australia is in fierce competition with Ford for pole position in this market. Some cars we know by other brands/names are marketed here different. A car I know in the US as a Lexus is marketed here under the Toyota label. Japanese cars are everywhere - very little Audi or BMW or Porsche and really little/no Dodge or Chevrolet.

Boarding flight to SFO now. More pics later when I can find chargers and have time.