Wednesday

Hanging Out With Familia Vargas

My grandparents in Ohio had an exchange student from Costa Rica in 1965. I can't imagine what Ohio must have been like for an 18 year old Costa Rican kid in pre-internet and Vietnam times. Guillermo still lives in San Jose with one of his two children, I was fortunately able to connect with them last night on my way out of Costa Rica. More than anything I learned that I have to come back to visit again soon. It was wonderful to get a night-tour around San Jose - Guillermo was the Minister of Education for Costa Rica for four years in the '90s and has spent his career as a University math professor. It was very interesting to tour the city and have him point out the various governmental buildings and historically significant areas of downtown, meanwhile giving me a 101 course on the history and politicial culture of Costa Rica. Then we ate dinner at his house with his family where I heard about living with my grandparents in the 1960's and saw pictures from 40 years ago of my relatives I've not seen - including a high school yearbook of my father. I was welcomed as a family member, I'm overwhelmed by their hospitality and kindness.