Tuesday

Scooter Mania

I got this scooter from China, over the Internet. It's histerical. It came in a crate - well really a cardboard box - and I assembled it. Not very well mind you, because 100 km into the odometer (yeah, I don't think they realize we're tracking things in mph here in the US) the kludgy wiring of the electrical system started coming loose and it wouldn't run if I turned the handlebars left to right. Maybe I should blame the cheap-o wiring harness that came on it, or maybe I should blame my attempts to wheelie the scooter *much* to the delight of any nearby cars... both for the twisted looks I wear on my face while trying to wheelie and for the overall rediculousness of watching a scooter wheelie. Yeah, the wheelies might have impacted the overall wire-attached-ness level. When it came in the box the engine was entirely ready to run. Oil included, just add gas. Except when I went to add gas to the tank the first time I heard something rattling around in the gas tank. I thought, "No, that can't possibly be something loose inside my gas tank, can it?" Sure enough, with a magnet I fished a screw out of the gas tank. I guess that somehow eclipsed the quality control process before leaving the factory in China. But all in all I have to admit that this is an astonishing amount of machinery and engineering and manufacturing and shipping to get this hunk-of-junk to my doorstep in California for $1000. And it's fun to ride. I'm probably going to put on my track gear and take this scooter to an empty parking lot soon and see if I can hang off it enough to drag knee, or if I can ghost ride it for a little before falling off and hopefully not breaking anything. It makes me laugh because I feel like a superlative cartoon character on it Like a power ranger or something. Hahahahahaha.