Sunday

Hi There Moscow

Just got into Moscow, Russia this morning for a week of vacation. It's going to be around zero degrees Fahrenheit all week, not sure if this was well timed from a weather perspective BUT I fortunately have brought nearly every sweater, scarf, mitten, coat and stocking cap I own... so I should be set. We got in this morning, took a train to the hotel right next to Red Square, shuffled out to get lunch (hot soup tastes exponentially better when it's freezing) and are napping before heading out to ice skate in Red Square this evening.

Moscow is shockingly expensive (that's saying a lot - I live in San Francisco). Four coffees cost 1,400 Rubles ($60 USD), cheap lunch for three was about $45, a maybe eight minute cab ride was $40. Fortunately I flew here for free using miles, and hotel was also paid for with points... so I might end up for the week about what it would cost to spend a week at home if I am careful.

The city strikes me as terribly modern as any US or European city. High end retail, very expensive cars, road infrastructure is difficult to gauge since the entire city is covered in ice and snow... ha, ha. I am surprised by the European influence on architecture. My mind's eye pegged Moscow for very drab buildings with little windows, concrete everywhere and simple block forms. Instead there are curves and mixed modern with several hundred year old buildings, a beautiful city on a river... feels a lot like Prague but stretched out with more space between everything. Excited to check out some of the beautiful bridges tomorrow. If I can figure out how to get a camera driver downloaded over this paltry Internet connection I'll post up pictures tomorrow too.