Saturday

Buenos Dias From Cusco

Got into Cusco Peru today, super excited for a week of relaxing.  I signed up for this trip on a lark, a couple friends were headed down here already and I'm crashing the party.  The plan is to acclimate to altitude for a couple days, then head out Tuesday for a five day hike to Maccu Picchu.  I was debating what summer adventures I would assemble lately, and remiss that river rafting looked to not fit in.  Great news!  I found a one day rafting trip here that I will take tomorrow.  My friends aren't interested in the rafting so I'm going to strike out solo for a day.

I'm staying in a $15 a night hostel.  This is the most expensive room they have (private - me only).   At check-in a bystander fellow backpacker overheard that I had a private room and exclaimed, "wow, nice dude."  I wonder if I'm too old for this hostel thing - my friends are at a mid-range hotel nearby.  Nah.  It's  $15 a night!  $15!  Ha, ha.  A fellow backpacker in the lobby wanted to sell me his (used) towel for $5.  He argued new ones are for sale from the front desk for $6, so he would be saving me $1 and he only used the towel one time.  It's funny how everything is relative.  I bet he gets a taker on the towel sale if he loiters in the lobby another 30 minutes.  Not me though....