Sunday

Naked Bike

Man this 848 is beautiful to look at even without the plastics. I found a guy making fiberglass track plastics, and another guy who paints them. So I tore off all the stock fenders and mounted the replacement unfinished fiberglass ones. This required some drilling but mostly not too big a deal. Then dismounted all the replacement plastics and drove them out to the painter's shop this afternoon. I hadn't taken the fuel tank off myself before - it's both comforting and unnerving to have the bike this apart. It's confidence bolstering to get to know your bike and how the parts are attached and how hoses are routed and electrical system wiring is harnessed - it's also a little unsettling to know I'm now responsible to attach things as they need to be for race readiness. Parts flying off at high speed is a scary endeavor. True mostly this is cosmetic, but the importance of proper fastening is the same. Anyway I'm turning this 848 black - hope to have pics up by end of week with the new black look. The frame will still be red but all the fairings will be professionally primed, painted, buffed and clear coated.

I hope the neighbors don't kill me for the mess I make in the garage! Man, I gotta get one of them house things with the dedicated garage I can turn into a bike workshop...