Friday

Playing with Foursquare Data

Possibly the coolest thing I've seen in a while, or maybe I've had too many cookies today and the sugar is overwhelming. Either way, here are maps provided by wheredoyougo.net mashing up Google Maps and my Foursquare check in data. Which raises all kinds of privacy questions about public data, but fortunately I'm not checking in to Foursquare when making crimes happen, so I'm in the clear. Really though, say you've got the Patriot Act giving you rights to all kinds of non-public data, and the computing power and programming staff of Fort Meade, and the budget of the defense department...

I've hypothesized for ages about GPS cell data getting into the wrong hands. Think insurance companies deciding I'm a single man, living in the Bay Area, so my insurance premiums should be higher because statistically I'm more likely to be gay than someone living in say Kansas, so therefore higher risk for HIV statistically, so my health insurance premiums should be 9x higher. *shudder* These are heat maps, obviously showing my favoritism for San Francisco's South of Market (SoMa) neighborhoods!